Monday, June 13, 2011

First frankens

Welcome to my first frankenpolish post! First, if you’re not sure what the hell a frankenpolish, check out Dr Frankenpolish’s post on Frankenpolish 101. It will tell you everything you need to know about frankening.

On Saturday I made my very first franken, a baby pink glitter.

I mixed 2/3 of a bottle of a Colour Co pearly white shimmer with 1/4 of a bottle of a The Face Shop’s bright pink and added fine white glitter. Next time I will have photos of the nail polishes I used which went into the mix instead of just the end result. But this time I got a little overeager and forgot!!

Here’s my end result:

Pink-Glitter-130611

Sorry for the crap photo. I’m learning how to take good photos of nails!! I promise I will get better!

This franken turned out pretty good. I liked the colour, but I definitely overdid it on the glitter so it was too lumpy. God it was thick, but it actually made it really easy to apply.  I put on two coats of Orly Sec n’ Dry in the hope that it would smooth it out a bit. It did, but not enough! I’ll add some clear polish to the mix and that should thin it out a bit. I didn’t name this one because, well, it’s crap, so let’s just call it No.1.

 

My second franken went very well! I’ve completely fallen in love with jelly polishes but find them really hard to find in South Australia, let alone the desert where I currently live in a mining town 600km from the capital city of Adelaide.  So I decided to do the next best thing and create my own.

I call this one Squashed Grape.

Purple-Jelly-130611

Pardon the messy cuticles.

I love it, love it, love it!!! It’s a gorgeous purple, almost magenta (the colours are slightly pinker in this photo because of the light) which looks so squishy and cute. My first jelly!!! It was a fairly thin consistency so I had to make sure not to overload the brush when I was applying. It’s worn pretty well, only one chip on my thumb and one bald spot on the other thumb (maybe I just have weird thumbs!)

For this one I used half a bottle of Mode XOXO purple creme polish and half a bottle of some Maybelline clear top coat I had lying around. It was so, SO easy and I see many more jellies in my future.

 

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get my order of BYS polishes which I ordered off Fashion Addict. I’ve ordered 12 of them so stay tuned for some reviews on this great Aussie brand.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment